The author of this article will soon improve this article soon.
- "We cannot continue to hold onto antiquated beliefs. We must look to the future."
- —Simon Grey.
Simon Tobias Grey (b. 20 September, 1977) was a pure-blood wizard who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and was sorted into Slytherin house. After his graduation, he worked for the Ministry of Magic as an Auror.
During his career as an Auror, Simon was known to be a wily and cunning investigator, working diligently to bring dark wizards, dark witches, and other criminals to justice. He was the final line in the historically pure-blooded House of Grey.
Early Life (1977 - 1988)
Simon was born to Cassius and Matilda Grey, in Cork, Ireland, on 20 September, 1977. Simon spent his infancy and younger years growing up with his parents in the Grey House, being exposed and becoming accustomed to various magical practices and artifacts from a young age.
Simon's life changed when he turned five years of age. In the summer of 1982, his mother Matilda discovered Cassius' connections to Lord Voldemort and the Death Eaters: he served them as a spy in the Department of Mysteries. Fearful of being caught, Cassius used the Killing Curse on his wife in front of their son and went on the lam. The Ministry was alerted by the usage of the curse and eventually tracked down and captured Cassius, sending him to a lifelong sentence in Azkaban. Five year old Simon was sent to live with his maternal grandparents, Quinn and Patricia Webb.
Simon received his Hogwarts acceptance letter during the summer of 1988. His grandparents took him to Diagon Alley for school supply shopping. There, Simon met a plethora of people, including old friends and associates of his family and grandparents. It was in Diagon Alley that he met Garrick Ollivander and received his own wand. It was also here that he was given his own owl for school, a long-eared owl named Sven.
Years at Hogwarts (1988 - 1995)
First Year (1988 - 1989)
- "Firs'-years! Firs'-years over here!"
- —Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Keys and Grounds.
When the train arrived at Hogsmeade station, it was Rubeus Hagrid that greeted the new first years. They made their way across the Great Lake to the castle, lead by the Groundskeeper. Rowan and Simon shared a boat, along with a few other students. Simon remarked on the beauty of the locale - the lake, the forest, and the castle - having grown up in urban Ireland, desiring to see magical creatures. Rowan joked about the famed giant squid, but it made no appearances for the first years. Hagrid lead the first years up a passageway into the castle, leaving them at the doors to be greeted by professor Minerva McGonagall.
McGonagall lead the first years into the castle, stopping at the Chamber of Reception, where she elaborated on Hogwarts and school rules: the famed four houses, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin, as well as the rules and conduct of the school and the House Cup. The first years were then instructed to wait, given a brief chance to mingle among themselves. When she returned, they were welcomed into the Great Hall.
The Sorting Ceremony
- "Mmm... yes. Interesting. Most interesting. Wit and cunning, both beyond measure. A love for knowledge... and a love for success. Where to put you, boy, where to put you?"
- —The Sorting Hat.
The hat was silent for a few moments, gauging Simon's personality and traits, torn on a decision: Simon was thus a Hatstall. The Hat deliberated and wavered between Ravenclaw and Slytherin, deciding that Simon's wit and cunning were both of equal measure. As the Hat probed further, it eventually decided on Slytherin, declaring that Simon's ambition and craftiness made him a better choice for Slytherin.
Second Year (1989 - 1990)
Third Year (1990 - 1991)
Fourth Year (1991 - 1992)
Fifth Year (1992 - 1993)
Sixth Year (1993 - 1994)
Seventh Year (1994 - 1995)
Second Wizarding War (1995 - 1998)
The Battle of Hogwarts (1998)
Simon returned to his former school on 2 May, 1998, heeding the call to defend the school and students from Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters. His group consisted of Audrey and close friends Rowan Hughes, Amelia Martin, and Patrick Baker. They took part in the opening combats, utilizing their skills in defense of the school and students. Simon dueled and defeated minor Death Eaters and Snatchers before bringing down a giant via the Tempest Jinx.
During the battle's intermission, in which Lord Voldemort demanded the defenders' surrender and offering of Harry Potter, Simon was seen in the great hall. When the battle recommenced, he was once again seen fighting Death Eaters and their various allies. In the midst of the battle, he encountered his estranged father, Cassius, prompting a duel. Cassius attempted to persuade Simon to the "winning side" but to no avail and eventually overpowered both his son and Audrey, being an older, seasoned wizard and remorseless killer. He disposed of Audrey with the Expulso Curse, using the reprieve to mercilessly torture his son with the Cruciatus Curse. Upon beginning the incantation of the Killing Curse, Audrey, who had repositioned herself, killed the elder Grey with a swarm of debris affected bu the Oppugno Jinx.
Simon was there to witness the defeat of the Death Eaters and their dark allies, as well as witness the three way duel between Lord Voldemort, Horace Slughorn, Minerva McGonagall, and Kingsley Shacklebolt. He also witnessed the fateful final duel between the Dark Lord and the Boy Who Lived.
As a boy, Simon had a scrawny and gangling build. His physique was the subject of ridicule by childhood friends and associates, who nicknamed him "Knob-Knees". He had fair, pale skin, with the dark grey eyes and black hair that was passed down through his family. He had a prominent aquiline nose and thick eyebrows.
As an older man, Simon had a slightly disheveled appearance. His hair was worn long, down to his shoulders, and he sported stubble and a thick mustache. As an Auror, he wore the customary uniform, which included a battered brown trench coat and a pair of pointed boots. Outside of his job, he was fond of fashionable attire, although they were typically in very muted colors, such as greys or blacks.
Personality and traits
Simon exemplified the traits of a Slytherin. He was crafty and resourceful, with a strong ambitious treak to succeed in life. In his younger years, particularly in school, he was a talented and witty young man, but was also high strung and haughty. He had a ravenous hunger for knowledge and loved to delve into books on a wide range of subjects in his free time. His traumatic and turbulent childhood initially left him as a severe loner, who was aloof to fellow Housemates and classmates. As he grew accustomed to the setting of Hogwarts, he eventually softened up considerably in his demeanor. To his friends, he was a charming, witty, and mischievous fellow. To those he disliked, he was manipulative and condescending. Other students typically regarded him as either a "know-it-all" or considered him to be brilliant.
As he matured, Simon grew to master his emotions and came to terms with his past - particular the dark history of his family, both present and past. As an upperclassman in Hogwarts, he was considered to be calm and collected, if a little cold. He had an icy exterior and was able to keep a cool head even in a crisis. But he also developed a dark streak: he became fascinated with the Dark Arts, although he always argued that it was purely academic and scholarly, and that the best way to combat something was to understand it. He was perceptive, intelligent, and cunning, utilizing his intelligence as his best weapon against others: be it in competition, debate, or a duel.
In his adult years, Simon came across as laid back but still kept that cool and collected demeanor. He was considerably more friendly and social as an adult than he was as a youth. As an Auror, he was noted to be extremely meticulous and adaptable: he constantly adapted with the times and the ever-changing nature of the Dark Arts. He was very good at thinking on his feet, which played to his advantage when chasing down and apprehending dangerous wizards, witches, and creatures. He was known to be a loyal and capable Auror, able to be very lenient and empathetic as well as very ruthless. He had a strong sense of justice and an unflappable quality that made others look to him in trying times.
Simon despised pure-blood supremacy and the people who believed in it. He considered them to be cruel, dimwitted, and naive. He felt everyone, regardless of status or race, least of all blood status, to be equal. He felt wizarding society had to move on from the craze and prospect of familial or blood status and advance to a more forward-thinking manner. He judged people by their character rather than anything else and was very open minded towards people of different race, gender, orientation, beliefs, and species.
He absolutely adored his family, doting on his wife and children, whom he considered to be his "best parts". He was very fond of his friends, too, and was very generous, always lending a helping hand whenever they required it. Despite being a wizard (and a pure-blood at that), he was very curious of the Muggle world and was especially fond of their music and their art.
Magical abilities and skills
Simon was a talented and capable wizard, even during his formative years at Hogwarts. His love for academia has lent him a proficiency and knowledge of a variety of fields. He was a very proficient duelist, with his skill honed by his work as an Auror. He was noted to be a capable Occlumens and Legilimens. His proficiency with Legilimency earned him a reputation in the Auror Department as a fearsome interrogator.
- Occlumency: Simon was a noted Occlumens, able to control his thoughts and emotions with great skill. He had a formidable "mental defense" that aided him greatly in his career as an Auror. Many were unable to penetrate his mind, with only highly advanced indivduals with great amount of skill and concentration typically being able to do so. He was known to be as "cold as ice" and "difficult to read" by other advanced wizards.
- Legilimency: Perhaps Simon's greatest strength was his ability as a Legilimens. He was very capable of penetrating people's minds and sifting through it with great skill and precision, but also with great speed as well. His meticulous nature enabled him to sift through people's minds quickly, once inside. He was able to root out dark secrets, see through deceits and lies, and obtain information crucial to any investigations he was assigned to. His skill as a Legilimens gave him a two-fold reputation: to fellow Aurors, he was considered a top-notch interrogator who was able to effortlessly ferret out clues, leads, and sort out who was innocent or guilty. To enemies, he was considered a terror, as not even the recesses of mind and memory were safe.
- Defence Against the Dark Arts: One of Simon's preferred topics while in school, he had a knack for Defense Against the Dark Arts. He passed with flying colors on his O.W.L. and N.E.W.T. exams, receiving the grade of "Outstanding" on both. He was able to easily identify a number of dark spells, hexes, and curses as well as different types of dark creatures and artefacts.
- Potions: While not his strongest subject, Simon was still nevertheless highly proficient in the field of Potions. He could easily brew low-level and middling difficulty potions, and was competent enough to brew advanced potions with effort and concentration. As per the recommendations to become an Auror, Simon took this class to the N.E.W.T. level, having passed with the grade of "Exceeds Expectations".
- Transfiguration: Like Potions, Simon was proficient in Transfiguration, and took the class to N.E.W.T. level while at Hogwarts. He was able to alter objects as well as conjure objects, which he utilized heavily during his career as an Auror. He was fond of using Transfiguration and his sly, tricky method of dueling to unnerve and get the upper hand over his opponent.
- Herbology: Simon was proficient in the subject of Herbology, taking the class to N.E.W.T. level as per the Auror recommendations. He was knowledgeable enough to recognize and categorize various species of dangerous plants. This was not his favorite or most devoted subject, however, as he greatly preferred other subjects.
- Charms: Charms was Simon's favorite class during his time at Hogwarts and Professor Flitwick was his favorite teacher. Simon had an innate knack for charms, taking to them naturally. He was capable of casting a wide array of charms easily, including particularly advanced spells. He used his skill in charms often in his career as an Auror, either for investigation, defense, or in dueling. As with many other classes, Simon took Charms to the N.E.W.T. level, passing with a grade of "Outstanding."
- Multilingualism: As an Auror, Simon mostly worked in the United Kingdom and Ireland, but was, from time to time, sent to investigate crimes and track down suspects or criminals who fled to other countries. As such, he was in contact with other cultures and languages very, very frequently, and such learned a multitude of them. Being that his wife was French, Simon was able to speak French very fluently. He was capable of understanding and speaking German and Italian. He could understand Greek, Russian, and Bulgarian but spoke them very poorly.
- Apparition: Apparition was Simon's preferred method of travel, as he viewed it as most efficient and convenient. He received his licence to Apparate during his sixth school year. He was capable of solo Apparition or Side-Along Apparition.
- Wand: Simon purchased his own wand from Ollivanders when he turned eleven years of age. It was 13" in length and was made of elm wood. The core was fashioned from dragon heartstring. Mr. Ollivander said that the wand was "swishy and rigid."
- Sven: Sven was Simon's personal owl. Part courier, part pet, and part companion, Sven delivered Simon's mail during his years at Hogwarts and stayed with Simon and his family well after graduating. The bird was known to be grim and inquisitive, just like his counterpart.
- Silver Pocket Watch: Simon always carried with him a particular pocket watch, made of silver. It was fairly small and was strung with a silver chain. The face of the watch featured a pattern of a serpentine ouroboros. It used to belong to his paternal grandfather, Aloysius.
- Flying Car: Simon owned a modified and enchanted Ford Corsair V4. The car was "eel green" in color. A Flying Charm was placed on the vehicle, enabling it to fly, as well as a powerful Disillusionment Charm that concealed it from sight - particularly Muggles. Simon periodically used the car to ferry back and forth from Cork to London for work, but it was mostly used for yearly summer family holidays to France.
- Broomstick: Like most wizards, Simon owned a personal broomstick for flight and travel. He seldom used it, preferring to use Apparition or the Floo Network, but occasionally flew on his broom, typically during his duties as an auror. Simon's broom was black and grey in colour.
Simon had a tumultuous relationship with his father's side of the family. The Greys were an old family, both brilliant and unpredictable. Many rose to prominence in years past but many have also become terrible practitioners of the Dark Arts. Simon was appreciative of the history of his family but also despised the darkness and pure-blooded supremacy that resided there. More recently, he never knew his paternal grandparents, but utterly despised his father, Cassius. Their differences were never reconciled, not even later in life.
On the inverse, Simon had a very close relationship to his maternal family. His maternal grandparents, Quinn and Patricia, raised him from childhood. It was they that were there for him during his youth, guiding and caring for him. The Webbs were the exact opposite of the Greys, with a long, colorful history, and family tree that spanned pure-bloods, half-bloods, and Muggles. He loved his grandparents dearly and remained very, very close to them, even well into adulthood.
Simon's wife, he met Audrey during the 1994 Quidditch World Cup. They remained friends, corresponding well into the new school year, in which the TriWizard Tournament was held at Hogwarts. Their relationship deepened during the Tournament, culminating in the pair going to the Yule Ball together. They became a couple, with Simon visiting France during the summer breaks. Simon and Audrey officially tied the knot in 1999. Eventually, they would have three children, Violette, Rona, and Pierre. Simon and Audrey had a reputation of being a close pair, with an unshakeable bond, as well as attitudes that complimented each other.
Simon fathered three children: two girls, named Violette and Rona, and a boy named Pierre. He loved his children very dearly and fostered close relationships with each, acting as a father figure, confidant, and friend. He strove to teach his children to be as open minded and accepting as possible, wanting to spare them from the darkness that not only plagued his family but the wizarding world. He encouraged their minds and curiosity, instilling in both the ravenous hunger and love for knowledge that he possessed.
In terms of temperament, Violette was the most like her father and followed his footsteps into Slytherin house. Rona was more like her mother and was sorted into Ravenclaw. Pierre, too, was more like Audrey in a sense, and was sorted into Gryffindor.
Simon is a given name with meanings in Hebrew and Classical Greek. In Hebrew, it means "listen", whereas in Classical Greek, it means "flat-nosed." Tobias is the Greek version of the biblical Hebrew name "Toviyah", which means "the goodness of God." Grey is a color situated between black and white. It is considered neutral and achromatic. Grey is typically associated with uncertainty, boredom, secrecy, old age, and conformity.