- "You, my son, are named after the greatest wizard of the modern age. A man who has become more of a brother to me than a friend. A man, who when everybody cast me aside as 'just another future Death Eater', stood up for me and the rest of my house. A man whose intelligence is unparalleled, whose bravery is incomparable, whose compassion knows no bounds. You, Sev, are named after the greatest man I've ever known; Severus Tobias Snape."
- —Sirius Black telling his son about his namesake.
Severus was Sorted into Ravenclaw, thankfully avoiding being sorted into Slytherin, as that would put a strain on his relationship with his best friend and true love, Lily Evans. While attending Hogwarts, it was noticed since his first day that the boy was a prodigy. During his first year, he was put in second year classes, and subsequently third year classes for some subjects. He then caught the attention of renowned Alchemist Nicolas Flamel, whom he spent the summer of 1974 under his tutelage. Severus' knowledge astounded Flamel, and in his memoirs he said "I couldn't help but ask myself: 'which one of us is the student and which is the teacher?'." Although Flamel had offered to take Severus out of school to study under him full-time, believing him to be above the challenges of Hogwarts' education, he refused, citing his wish to be with his friends and desire to graduate from Hogwarts.
Once open war was declared upon Lord Voldemort's Death Eaters, Severus would stay true to his intention to remain neutral; not trusting Dumbledore and moving to France with Lily to avoid the war. Although Severus refused to get involved officially, he would indirectly aid his friends within the order with supplies and the like. However, as the Order began suffering multiple setbacks, Severus secretly began building support against Voldemort in other European countries, quietly amassing an army composed of wizards from multiple countries all dead-set on defeating the darkness that clouded Britain. After the Death Eater attack on the British Ministry and their successful coup of the government; the killing of Minister Millicent Bagnold and death of Albus Dumbledore, Severus decided to interfere in the war, although as a third faction allied to the Order of the Phoenix. Meeting Voldemort's Death Eaters at Hogwarts, a bloody hour-long battle ensued, followed by an armistice and subsequent one-on-one duel between Severus Snape and Lord Voldemort, culminating in the death of the latter and the surrender of the Death Eaters.
After the end of the war, Severus had been declared a hero. In 1982; although already married to Lily, Severus hosted a formal wedding reception at a secret location attended by only friends and family; Remus Lupin as his best man. Severus and Lily already had a child, Sirius Donovan Snape, born while avoiding the war in Britain in 1980. He and Lily had an additional three children, daughters Chrysanthemum Amaryllis "Chrissie" (b. 1982), Marigold Celosia "Mary" (b. 1983), Rosemary Gardenia "Rose" Snape (b. 1984). Severus would then become Potions Master and Master Alchemist at Hogwarts under Headmistress Minerva McGonagall and later Deputy Headmaster and Head of Alchemy under Headmaster Aberforth Dumbledore.
In 2017, at the age of 57, Snape was given the position of Headmaster of Hogwarts following the death of Aberforth Dumbledore, relinquishing his position as Professor of Alchemy in favour of his son, Sirius and position as Head of Ravenclaw house to Daniel Potter.
British Wizarding Civil War
Declaration of Open War
- Sirius Black: "Have you spoken with Dumbledore yet? He said upon graduation we can join the Order of the Phoenix! I can't bloody wait to stick it to those Death Eaters!"
- Severus: "Have fun, because joining the Order is something I do not plan on doing."
- Sirius Black: "What the hell do you mean Sev? You'd just stand by and do nothing while Voldemort prances around Britain murdering every undesirable he sees?! If that's not cowardice I don't-"
- Severus: "I AM NOT A COWARD! I hate the bloody Dark Lord, but I do not, and have never, trusted Dumbledore. He's a man who would ruin one's life for the "Greater Good", proclaiming to be fighting for the light while pulling the strings like some almighty sodding puppet master! Let the manipulators fight their own bloody war, I refuse to get involved!"
- — Sirius Black and Severus arguing about supporting the war effort against the Dark Lord
Final Confrontation and Duel with Voldemort
- "I wanted no part of this war. I swore to myself that neither the light nor the dark would seduce me; neither would claim my allegiance. However, you, Tom Marvolo Riddle, have forced my hand. No longer shall you spread darkness upon this land. This, Tom, is the end of the line for you."
- —Severus before engaging Lord Voldemort in a duel
Headmaster of Hogwarts (2017-)
- "[...] May I introduce the new Headmaster of Hogwarts; Professor Severus Snape!"
- —Severus Snape being introduced as Hogwarts' new headmaster.
- "Check out the hot first year!"
- —A Hogwarts student remarking Snape's changed look in his first year.
Severus enjoyed wearing clothes of dark colour, black being his most preferred.
Severus was quite tall, standing at 1.90 metres, which is just under six foot three, at roughly six foot and 2.8 inches.
Magical abilities and skills
- Flying: Snape was a very good flyer, showing remarkable speed and control while commanding a broomstick. During his second year, he raced James Potter in a broom race, and indeed won the contest.
- Dark Arts: Although not a dark wizard, Snape was very proficient in the Dark Arts, one of the biggest believers in the philosophy that using the Dark Arts is only evil if they are used for evil purposes. A few spells of his creation are Dark, including the vicious slashing curse Sectumsempra.
Early on in his childhood, Snape never regarded the place where he grew up as a home. His father, Tobias Snape, was an alcoholic who routinely abused both his wife and son. His mother, Eileen, hardly practiced magic, as his father didn't particularly like magic. However, after Severus began his first year at Hogwarts, Tobias heard how great his son was doing, and felt happier then than he did most of his life. This, coupled with Eileen's efforts at curbing his alcohol dependency (by developing a potion that made all alcoholic beverages taste like urine), transformed his father back to the man his wife fell in love with. After this point, his relationship with his parents was closer than ever, as was their relationship with each other, and they conceived triplets.
Lily Evans is, quite simply, the love of his life. Meeting her and her sister, Petunia, at the park near his house, he immediately recognized Lily as a witch as she had made a flower grow from a sprout after falling from the swings, and the two began a close friendship. Severus taught Lily everything he knew about the magical world.
- "Well, we are brothers after all."
- —Severus detailing how close he is to Remus.