The author of this article will soon improve this article soon.
- Ernie Macmillan: "It's not as grand as what you're used to... but it's home."
- Lance Potter: "Sometimes the Manor can be too big, even for six of us. I think your house is perfect, Ern. Just the right size and a little ostentatious - just like you."
- Ernie Macmillan: "You mean it? You're not just saying that?"
- Lance Potter: "'Course I mean it, you prat! It's great."
- — Lance and Ernie when the former visits the latter at Macmillan House
The house had, initially, been built - by Peter Macmillan - as a home for a retired old lady; it had taken a year to build. Unfortunately, she never got to live in it and passed away before it was finished. On its completion in 1971, when Peter was 21, the house remained bare and uninhabited.
Unlike most Pureblood Families, the Macmillan Family, though very rich, did not have an ancestral home and Macmillan House was purchased by Peter Macmillan - from his employers - when he and his wife Annabelle discovered, in late 1976, that she was pregnant. At this point, the house had been empty for nearly six years.
Macmillan House soon a quaint little home for the family.
Ernie grew up in Macmillan House with his parents and his elder siblings - Peter and Annabelle. Ernie was a little pampered and did grow a bit pompous, as well as becoming a little chubby. It was in the living room of Macmillan House that Ernie received his Hogwarts acceptance letter.