In the Harry Potter Faniverse, an alternate universe chronicles events that contradict the canon of the Potterverse as laid out in the writings of J. K. Rowling. Some popular alternate histories include:
- Lily Evans giving birth to another child besides Harry Potter.
- Harry being the son of someone other than James Potter and/or Lily Evans.
- Neville Longbottom being the subject of Sybil Trelawney's prophecy.
- the Boy Who Lived series
- Dudley Dursley receiving a letter from Hogwarts.
- Harry being sorted into a House other than Gryffindor.
- Cedric Diggory surviving the confrontation in Little Hangleton.
- Sirius Black surviving the Battle of the Department of Mysteries.
- Fred Weasley, Remus Lupin, or Nymphadora Tonks surviving the Battle of Hogwarts.
Other stories – such as Hogwarts Sanitarium – present vastly alternate universes.
The Dark Tower
It is worth noting that the Harry Potter universe itself is one of the many parallel dimensions contained within Stephen King's Dark Tower multiverse; both the eponymous wolves of Calla Bryn Sturgis and the Crimson King use explosive versions of the golden snitch as weapons. The so-called "sneetches" bear a label reading:
HARRY POTTER MODEL
Jake Chambers ponders briefly who Harry Potter might be, and speculates that Potter is the inventor of the deadly "sneetch."
Additionally, the universe of Star Wars is indicated to be yet another such parallel dimension, as the titular wolves also wield functional lightsabers, which Eddie Dean recognizes as belonging to the purportedly fictional world of George Lucas's film.