The author of this article will soon improve this article soon.
- Harry Potter: "You ran away from home?"
- Sirius Black: "When I was about sixteen. I'd had enough."
- Harry Potter: "Where did you go?"
- Sirius Black: "Your dad's place. Your grandparents were really good about it; they sort of adopted me as a second son. Yeah, I camped out at your dad's in the school holidays, and when I was seventeen I got a place of my own. My Uncle Alphard had left me a decent bit of gold — he's been wiped off here, too, that's probably why; he's like me and Andromeda and doesn't really care about Blood Status — anyway, after that I looked after myself."
- — Sirius to Harry Potter in 1995[src]
Alphard Black (born 1927) is the brother of Walburga and Cygnus Black III, the brother-in-law of Orion Black and Druella Rosier, the uncle of Sirius Black, the great-uncle of William Black, Torian Lestrange and Cygnus Lestrange and the nephew of Dorea Black.
He was a pureblood wizard who was sorted into Slytherin at Hogwarts.
Alphard was the middle child of Pollux Black and Irma Crabbe, and brother of Walburga and Cygnus.
He was born in 1927, two years after his sister and eleven years before his brother.
He was disinherited in 1977 and removed from the Black Family tree by his sister Walburga, for giving "a decent amount of gold" to his nephew Sirius Black III, who was disowned and disinherited after running away from home at the age of sixteen. He did this because he had a very good relationship with Sirius, and did not care that he was disowned. Alphard has never married and has no children, though his nephew is like a son to him and his great-nephew, William Black is like a grandson to him.
Like many members of the House of Black, Alphard is named after a star. Alphard is the brightest star in the constellation Hydra, and is known as the heart of the serpent. Its name is derived from the Arabic فرد|الفرد (Al Fard), meaning "the solitary one".
The Alphard Black that appears in A SImple Twist Of Fate is not dead, unlike the Alphard Black who was mentioned in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter Series and died between Autumn 1976 and Autumn 1977.